Do Monarchs need Mexican forests?

Patrick Foley patfoley at csus.edu
Fri Apr 19 10:52:28 EDT 2002

My understanding (only from quotes in the popular press) is that Brower
made his mortality estimates after the those of Solis and others, and
thus obtained higher estimates. Brower also thinks the uncertainty
around Monarch overwintering estimates is enormous.

Again, I would like to see the scientific papers that show how these
estimates are made. I still have little idea how trustworthy any of the
estimates are. Any practicing population biologist would be wary about
an estimate without a standard error. And any scrupulous person would
want to know more before he attacked the honesty of others. The evidence
from the popular press is that Brower made his estimates using some kind
of standard (over several years) approach counting dead butterflies per
quadrat and comparing the dead to population size estimates. This does
not show that his estimates are right, but it does suggest that he is
not just dreaming them up to drum up hysteria in the press.

Brower may well be wrong about his mortality estimates. But the popular
press articles I have seen clearly show that he is uncertain about
Monarch numbers. Paul, are you certain about your numbers? Do you think
anecdotal evidence and carefully chosen photographs are an honest
improvement over Brower's scientific papers?

Patrick Foley
patfoley at csus.edu

Patrick