Florida "Habitat restoration" question

Bob Parcelles,Jr. rjparcelles at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 23 13:19:10 EDT 2002

--- MexicoDoug at aol.com wrote:
> Lepsters, I ran across this comment while reading the newswires, an
> wondered
> if anyone has any first hand knowledge of this program.  There is
> nothing I
> would like more than to see the exotic water-sucking trees removed
> from the
> 'glades, but at first reading this potentially risky strategy did
> surprise
> and bring to mind other gafs in ecological control history.  Any
> additional
> info?
>
> Best...Doug Dawn
> Monterrey, Mexico
>

> [Bush's]His interior secretary, Gale Norton, joined the Earth Day
> celebrations Monday by dedicating a new Florida research center for
> invasive
> plants and releasing 10,000 exotic plant-eating bugs to help
> eradicate
> melaleuca trees, an Australian species infesting 400,000 acres of
> Florida's
> wetlands.

Unfortunetly natural predators has had more costly (in all senses of
the word) failures than successes. It certainly ambushed me. I am
checking and will get back with some background.

Bob

=====
Bob Parcelles, Jr
Pinellas Park, FL
RJP Associates & Clean Millennium Movement (C2M)
rjparcelles at yahoo.com
"Change your thoughts and you change your world."
- Norman Vincent Peale