Limenitis:)

Sean Patrick Mullen spm23 at cornell.edu
Mon Aug 12 16:20:11 EDT 2002

Ah yes, the time has come again to thank those who've help and make
the last request of the season for help with collecting Limenitis.

As many of you probably know, I'm working on patterns of genetic
variation across the range of both the White Admiral (Limenitis
arthemis) and the Red-spotted Purple (Limenitis a. astyanax).  I'm
trying to collect specimens from as many different populations as
possible, so if you the inclination, then I would love some help.

I wanted to publicly thank Mr. Martin Bailey for his help from SK,
Can.  He was of great service to me and I deeply appreciate it.  I
also owe Mr. Bob Parcelles, Jr. an apology..he has been waiting for a
package from me for entirely too long...I'm working on it;)

However, that aside, here's how YOU can help:).  If you happen upon
any Limenitis in the next few weeks, grab them!  After much
deliberation and experimentation, I've decided that papered specimens
are fine as long as they have never been relaxed and are from the
last 12 months.  So, if you collect anything for me, then just drop
it in a glassine envelope and ship it to Ithaca.

In the past, I've insisted on have my specimens stored in alcohol but
I'm afraid that the extra trouble of dealing with vials, etc., has
put a number of people off who might otherwise have been willing to
help out.

Thanks in advance and I'lll see all of you in Alberta next summer for LepSoc.

-Sean
--
Sean P. Mullen, Ph.D. Candidate
E445 Corson Hall, Cornell University