"Roundup Ready"

MexicoDoug at aol.com MexicoDoug at aol.com
Thu Aug 15 01:43:55 EDT 2002

En un mensaje con fecha 08/14/2002 11:49:33 AM Central Daylight Time,
MexicoDoug escribe:

From: <A HREF="http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&q=author:mhg3%40cornell.edu+">Mike Griggs</A> (<A HREF="mailto:mhg3%40cornell.edu">mhg3 at cornell.edu</A>)

> Doug while much of your discussion is good I must disagree with your
> assertion that "Glyphosate  is a probable carcinogen"read the following
> lifted from EXTOXNET.On all fronts it appears pretty safe--check out how
> toxic table salt is sometime!Mike_---

Thanks for the objection, Mike.  Not being a wholesale subscriber to
conspiracy theory of big companies, but simply a believer that we still live
in a somewhat free and anarchistic world and need to make our own sense of
it, I'll accept that Glyphosate is not any more harmful than other "X"icides
that put food on the table for us members of the masses.  Like Bruce Ames
says,  far more people will get a cancer for not eating enough vegetables,
than those who will get cancers from any potential trace carcinogens that
don't get removed from a quick washing of vegetables in the kitchen sink.
And any 'unreasonable' regulation that increases consumer price of
vegetables, thanks to good ol' supply and demand, is bound to leave more
folks with cancer.  I am sure Harvard's Medical School's Epidemiology gurus
would agree that eating marginally tainted veggies on balance is better than
cutting veggie consumption, to reduce long term cancers..

But:  The comments about the impurities and even the active itself:  I see on
Greenpeace's website Neil's case, but I also notice that even Greenpeace
comments that Monsanto, etc. have changed formulations to remove these
problems.  That doesn't leave a fuzzy feeling.  Though it may be illogical, I
am still afraid of handling Roundup, even in dilute forms spraying the weeds
in the driveway cracks. I'd much rather have a cup of delicious known
carnicogenic Sassafras tea. (No, not from sassy butterflies).  By the way
root beer is also traditionally made from Sassafras after the carcinigens are
removed.  Another double standard, but what else is new...by the way I just
tried a traditional salsa made from the Mexican garden "Root Beer Plant",
which might as well be made from sassafras.  Delicious.  I don't take your
comment on table salt with a grain of salt!

Best wishes...Doug Dawn
Monterrey, Mexico