Vanessa at night - no 3

Stan Gorodenski stanlep at extremezone.com
Fri Feb 1 19:05:37 EST 2002

Paul Cherubini wrote:

> latitude butterfly flying in the middle of the night.  Your observations
> do not meet the following conditions:
>
> 1. well away from artificial lights
> 2. in the pitch black night sky (well after sunset & well before sunrise
> in temperate zone latitudes (not arctic latitudes in the summer)

Who came up with these 'conditions' that we all must adhere to?  I
question them.  What is 'well away from artificial light'?  What is the
specific measurable standard?  I could imagine situations that we might
consider close to artificial lights, but which might not have had
anything to do with the lep being in the air at all.

What constitutes a 'pitch black night sky'?  What is the specific
measurable standard for this condition?  Does this rule out moon lit
nights?  If so, it sure would be an unnatural standard.  If it does
include moon lit nights, why should artificial lights be disqualified?

The bottom line is: what are the _specific_ _measureable_ _standards_
being used to judge whether someone else's observations are
questionable?
Stan