rearing Miami Blues from (trash-pile) seedpods

Leptraps at aol.com Leptraps at aol.com
Sun Feb 3 08:51:18 EST 2002

Anne:

I have reared both C. thomasi and S.simaethis from eggs oviposited on Balloon
Vine. I planted Balloon Vine which grew up the back wall of my home in Coral
Springs, FL in 1989/91. The eggs were laid on the new forming buds and
flowers of the vine. Once pods began to form, fourth instar larvae would bore
into the pods and mature and become pupa. Only after the balloon matured and
the pod broke apart naturally would the butterfly emerge. The entire process
took about four weeks.

The flowers of the Balloon Vine would attract Electrostrymon angelia, Strymon
martialis, S. columella, and Heliconius charitonius.

Cheers,