Vanessa at night - migrations

Stan Gorodenski stanlep at extremezone.com
Sun Feb 3 20:08:44 EST 2002

Paul Cherubini wrote:
> Next time rent a little boat and take pictures of the
> migrants arriving over open water at dawn (if indeed
> this really happens). Or at least take pictures or make
> binocular observations from a southern wharf or beach.
> An ordinary digital still or video camera takes good
> pictures in low light.  I'll post one myself this evening
> 20 minutes after sunset.

I reject the idea (which has been expressed more than once) that one
must have a 'picture' or 'video' to make a reputable and accurate
report. Are we to trash all knowledge prior to the advent of the camera?
It seems to me that espousing this 'requirement' amounts to nothing more
than a technique to always reject reports that don't fit well with one's
argument.