Migration across oceans

Basil Hallhead hallhead at heiconsulting.com
Mon Feb 4 07:30:07 EST 2002

[This followup was posted to sci.bio.entomology.lepidoptera and a copy
was sent to the cited author.]

Several months ago the Discovery channel (or ?) had a feature about
just this -- but about monarchs in the UK.  Seems that they don't
"migrate" but weather systems can carry them huge distances.  An
interesting topic.

Basil

In article <3C5D7522.CA892D70 at csus.edu>, patfoley at csus.edu says...
> Dear lepidopterists, butterfliers and rugged individualists and big-brother
> Stalinists,
>
>     For my present purposes, I am interested in the problem of whether some
> butterflies (such as Vanessa spp) can sometimes travel at night long distances
> over the oceans. I am not so interested in whether butterflies commonly fly at
> night or what night is. The answer to this question would help to clear up
> problems in the distributional biogeography of some butterflies.
>
>     I have read that butterflies used to be observed by ships (under Cook and
> Bligh) off the coast of South America. If anyone knows more about these reports,
> it would be great to get more precise information.
>
> Given the cosmopolitan distribution of Vanessa cardui and especially the Hawaiian
> Vanessa tammeamea (which is presumably close to Vanessa atalanta), the alternative
> means of dispersal would seem to be day and night flying, rafting or alighting on
> the water at night.
>
> Patrick Foley
> patfoley at csus.edu
>
> Woody Woods wrote:
>
> > Stan and others, regarding the suggested experiment, perhaps another way would
> > be to work with marked butterflies in a walk-in cage, monitoring their
> > position 2-3 times through the night. If the butterflies are flying at night,
> > this would allow directionality of movement to be established. Colleagues have
> > done cage experiments with migrating butterflies in Costa Rica (crepuscular
> > behavior though, not nocturnal) and have found cage movements and activity
> > corresponding to outdoor observations.
> >
> > I have found Vanessa occasionally-- not often-- flying in an indoor walk-in
> > cage during the night portion of a 16L:8D light cycle, at a temperature of
> > around 21 decrees C. Those observations are at this point just anecdotal,
> > though.
> >
> > Monitoring activity of caged animals has contributed to understanding of bird
> > migration in a number of classic works.
> >
> > I guess I'd be concerned that in an outdoor experiment a butterfly could crawl
> > out and then be taken by spiders or something else-- a problem I had even with
> > some cage experiments when plants were in the cage. Often the remaining bits
> > were scattered. However, doing BOTH outdoor caged and cageless experiments
> > could be pretty strong.
> >
> > Also, it is certainly true that the eyes of nocturnally flying moths are have
> > the capacity to dark-adapt, with consistent physiological changes following a
> > circadian pattern (articles by Richard White and Ruth Bennett), and a logical
> > research step would be to ask whether the eyes of Vanessa and other suspected
> > nocturnal migrators have the same capacity.
> >
> > Woody Woods
> >
> > Stan Gorodenski wrote:
> > >
> > > Paul Cherubini wrote:
> > > >

> > > Of course, the biology of the butterfly would have to be taken into
> > > consideration.  What I suggested is not a completely worked out
> [...]

= = = = =
Basil Hallhead  President & Principal Consultant
HEI Consulting     http://www.heiconsulting.com/
b_halhed at heiconsulting.com