Glassberg's public statement on collecting.

Dr. James Adams jadams at em.daltonstate.edu
Tue Feb 5 12:53:39 EST 2002

Neil wrote:

>There have been a number of postings accusing Dr Jeffrey Glassberg
>of wanting to ban collecting. The actual evidence for this is sparse.

I had a very pleasant conversation on the phone with Jeff Glassberg last
week.  Though I have not had many conversations with him, each time he has
been a very clear-headed, rational individual.  I agree with Neil -- Jeff,
though clearly not in favor of collecting most butterflies, understands the
need to do so under certain circumstances, and even did so himself growing
up.  He does not hide this fact from people who ask.  Even Leroy mentions
that he knew Jeff collected growing up.  Just because we do something when
we are younger does not mean we can't change our approach later in
life.  We all do this.  Jeff and I may not agree on aspects of collecting,
but this does not make him some kind of ogreous monster.  Much of the
divisiveness we see is because of other more extreme individuals associated
with NABA, and for that matter extreme individuals on the collecting side
of the fence.

I think there is a lot to be said for the Lep Soc and NABA trying to come
together on more things.  It is okay to agree to disagree -- it doesn't
have to stop collaboration.

James K. Adams
Phone: (706)272-4427
FAX:  (706)272-2235