Glassberg's public statement on collecting.

Kondla, Norbert FOR:EX Norbert.Kondla at gems3.gov.bc.ca
Wed Feb 6 15:52:27 EST 2002

Further to the issue of "profiteering" mentioned in the link that Paul
provides: I accept the fact that some people have an unfavourable view of
the profit motive and sometimes make disparaging comments about people who
value profits and the many positive contributions that it makes to our
society.  Nonetheless, making profits is the cornerstone of our economic and
social systems. Making profits pays for our social services that we all
depend on. Making profits pays for our mortgages and puts food into our
childrens mouths. People do not grow food to support populations for the fun
of doing so. They do it for profit. I guess that makes the noble farmer a
mean old "profiteer" :-) Making profits provides funds for conservation work
and funds to advance our understanding of what conservation work is needed
into the future. I strongly support profits and profiting from sustainable
use of our natural resources.  I find it odd that people who support
themselves and our society through their business activities are so
frequently portrayed in a negative light by some. I don't much listen to
that whining any more :-)