Rhode Island Monarch facts

HpAzures at aol.com HpAzures at aol.com
Thu Feb 7 21:05:48 EST 2002

In the recent flurry of leps-list posts regarding R.I. Monarchs, the
following was reported as being posted by Wayne Wehling:

<<
We do deny permits for monarchs shipped to Rhode Island
for release to the environment.  This decision was based
on discussion with Rhode Island after determining monarchs
were sufficiently uncommon.

Cheers,
Wayne Wehling

Wayne, please tell me this post is bogus.

Not only do I find this COMPLETELY and totally groundless, but if true, it
very clearly demonstrates USDA's lack of knowledge on the subject, and the
source(s) of this information.  [Wayne: what or who is your source of
information?  Please contact me and I would like to discuss this information.]

I have worked extensively on Rhode Island butterflies since 1983, conducting
my informal R.I. Butterfly Survey and am currently in the process of writing
a book on Rhode Island butterflies.  I have developed an extensive network of
contacts in the state and have done an exhaustive search of literature and
museum sources.  Had anyone in USDA bothered to consult with R.I. Dept. of
Natural Resource personnel, several people there directly involved with the
Natural History program would have referred any USDA inquiries directly to
me.  I have heard of no such inquiries, despite continued and regular
correspondence which I have with people in RI DEM.  USDA personnel might also
check a neat resource: the USGS "Butterflies of North America" website.  It
lists volunteer state coordinators who are expert sources of information on
each state's butterflies.  Oh look, I'm listed for R.I.

FACTS:

1) Monarchs are variably common to abundant in Rhode Island, especially in
the fall when thousands congregate along the southern coast in places like
Beavertail State Park in Jamestown and on Block Island.  While they are less
common to infrequent in spring and summer, this pattern is reflective of
virtually every region that I have seen them over my 40 years of butterfly
study.

2) They have been recorded in 36 of the 40 incorporated cities and towns in
the state, and I believe I have records for an additional town or two.

3) Common Milkweed (Ascelpias incarnata) is an abundant nectar and host
source, thus capable of supporting large numbers of Monarchs.  I often found
eggs or larvae in Milkweed patches with no effort at searching for them.

4) Rhode Island, due to its small size (two counties wide, three tall) allows
Monarchs to pass through the state in a few hours, which they most certainly
do.  It is beyond logic to ban importation of Monarchs into R.I. when every
single Monarch found in the state leaves or enters at one end or the other,
or is the offspring of a female that came into the state.  Do we erect tall
fences around the state or hire sharpshooters to prevent them from entering
the state?

So, my question is what makes Rhode Island any different from any other
eastern state?  Is this some sort of subtle way of making transport of
Monarchs illegal on a state-by-state basis?  Start with a small state like
R.I. then work up?  Makes me suspicious.

Wayne: if you require information on Rhode Island Monarchs, please contact me
and I can dig out all of my R.I. data for you, for a consultation fee of
course.  There are hundreds of individual date/locality records and it will
take me many hours to dig them all out.  Fortunately, I am in the slow
process of entering butterfly records into a database but this might give me
incentive to expedite the entry of Monarch records.

Thanks leps-listers for bringing this to my attention.  I will contact the
Newport Butterfly Zoo, which will certainly bring this to the attention of
local congressmen and senators.

Still in disbelief,
Harry Pavulaan