Endangered species act

Andrew Warren warrena at mail.science.orst.edu
Sat Feb 9 00:50:20 EST 2002

For the record, the collector Ron is referring to below is named:

John Kemner (not Kimner)

Species that have been named to honor Kemner include:

Piruna kemneri Freeman
Dalla kemneri Steinhauser
Paratrytone kemneri Steinhauser
Halotus jonaveriorum Burns (named after John Kemner and Avery Freeman)

John currently lives in Oaxaca with his wife.

My understanding of the events are that Kemner specimens confiscated from
private collections in the US were deposited in US museums (more than
one museum including the USNM, AMNH, CMNH and AME, at least).  Material
confiscated directly from Kemner all went to the Museo de Zoologia
in Mexico City, where it has all been spread and curated into their
collection (most of this material was still papered- there were around
15,000 specimens or so that ended up at the Museo de Zoologia).

Andy Warren