USDA again

Michael Gochfeld gochfeld at eohsi.rutgers.edu
Sat Feb 9 08:21:41 EST 2002

I can well understand and sympathize with Norbert's concise philosophical
statement below.
However, like it or not there is an underlying logic which is not grasping at
straws.  It is a formalized policy approach called the
PRECAUTIONARY PRINCIPLE.  It is, of course controversial, like not taking
precautions, but it is
a philosophical approach to governmental action that is being debated in many
scientific-policy meetings around the world. It has many detractors and many
advocates.

It depends in part on the probability and the consequences of the "things that
may happen".

 And not surprisingly there are people who would apply the precautionary
principle to some aspects of life but not others.

Michael Gochfeld