"Leap of Faith", was Re: Clouds of "Monarchs"

Michael Gochfeld gochfeld at eohsi.rutgers.edu
Sun Feb 10 19:08:58 EST 2002

CHRIS,
I love your account of behind the scenes, and how the hand clapping
worked.  For
all my cynicism, it was a stunning visual appeal with an appealing
consequence
(good guy gets not so good girl).  The transformation of Monarchs to
other species
is the kind of in-joke that in-the-know people like to share.

It's a lot easier to collect such out-of-place species with birds since
there are
often birds on movie sound tracks.  Occasionally one sees birds that are
out of
place, such as the Ringed Turtle Dove in the western fort in DANCES WITH
WOLVES.

It sounds like you had to battle almost supernatural adversities to pull
it off
(perhaps appropriate for a film about evangelism).  I'm glad to hear
that it
supported your butterfly travels.

Regards and thanks for filling us in on this adventure.   MIKE GOCHFELD