[leps-talk] Re: Common names NABA list--

Ron Gatrelle gatrelle at tils-ttr.org
Fri Feb 22 10:18:05 EST 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael Gochfeld" <gochfeld at EOHSI.RUTGERS.EDU>
To: <leps-l at lists.yale.edu>
Cc: "TILS group" <TILS-leps-talk at yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Friday, February 22, 2002 8:23 AM
Subject: [leps-talk] Re: Common names NABA list--

> Ron also called attention by inference to the NABA Checklist of Common
> Names in the following sentence.
>
> Ron Gatrelle wrote:
>
>   And it has certainly not been given to one > organization or
> organizational leader to decide for everyone else what
> > names they _must_ use.
>

> I think that unfairly characterizes the NABA effort as well as the
> history.  The effort became a NABA effort rather by default, but more
> importantly it involves a committee (not a single leader) which includes
> some long-time lepidopterists that are hardly newbies.

snips

Totally understandable reading.   While NABA does fit this shoe, my remark
was broad and was meant as including TILS and myself.  This thread, after
all, is the result of postings on the TILS-leps-talk list serve about the
common names list on our web site.  In other posts I mentioned specifically
NABA, Lep. Soc. and TILS in the context that common names belong to the
people who _use_ them not organizations that _choose_ them.  Otherwise they
are not "common" (the coinage and choice of the masses) they are
fabrications of a (very) few.

Ron