[SoWestLep] Re: automobile traffic and leps!

Patrick Foley patfoley at csus.edu
Sat Feb 23 15:11:08 EST 2002

James and others,

It is shocking, although not unexpected to see the death numbers due to vehicular lepslaughter. Before we congratulate
ourselves too much, we should keep in mind that this is mostly a density-independent form of mortality, or even density
dependent in a stabilizing way (Above carrying capacities, butterflies may travel more). Individual butterflies are at
risk equally whether their population sizes are high or low in an area.

Irresponsible collecting ( I did not say all collecting) is potentially very density-dependent in a destabilizing way.
It is exactly when the numbers are low that an individual is most prized and most sought after. I leave it to others to
debate whether overcollection is a rare or negligible cause of extinction.

Patrick Foley