Federal listings done by common names? / professional society com mon names?

Mike Quinn Mike.Quinn at tpwd.state.tx.us
Mon Feb 25 13:10:30 EST 2002

Chris,

Unless you can show otherwise, please retract the following statement:

>    The biggest embarrassment in the United States is that our Federal and
> some state listings of endangered species are done by common name rather
> than by scientific name.

Every single member of either the plant or animal kingdom listed in the
Federal Register as threatened or endangered by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife
Service is identified by its binomial if not by its trinomial. The most
recent example of this was the petition to list the Miami Blue. I quoted the
first sentence here:

"Federal Register / Vol. 67, No. 2 / Thursday, January 3, 2002 / Proposed
Rules

"SUMMARY: We, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (Service), announce a
90-day finding for a petition to list the Miami blue butterfly (Hemiargus
thomasi bethunebakeri) under the Endangered Species Act of 1973, as
amended."

Complete Document:
http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/getdoc.cgi?dbname=2002_register&doci
d=02-36-filed.pdf

As for there being "no professional society regulation of common names",
please consider the following.

The Entomological Society of America is the world's largest entomological
society. (I think they have about 8,000 members world wide.) According to
the following notice posted on their web site, they consider their "Common
Names of Insects" to be one of the six "essential core ... publications" for
their society.

http://www.entsoc.org/catalog/

Mike Quinn