cardui and thistles

Erik Runquist erunquist at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 25 19:15:32 EST 2002

Has anyone, or does anybody know of any theories about how the spread of
exotic thistles has affected cardui immigrations? I suspect that ladies are
generally able to reach higher population densities (and reach farther
north) than pre-colonization times because of these pervasive weeds.  I
realize that this is a largely untestable hypothesis, but here I almost
exclusively find caterpillars on bull and Canada thistles.
Just curious…
Erik Runquist
Ashland, OR