cardui and thistles

Kondla, Norbert FOR:EX Norbert.Kondla at gems3.gov.bc.ca
Tue Feb 26 10:27:19 EST 2002

There is published evidence of very high population densities on the
Canadian prairies. Certainly my observations over many years are that
thistles are certainly far less abundant in natural habitats vs
agriculatural fields and other areas disturbed by human activity. See:
Byers, J.R., B.T. Roth, R.D. Thomson and A.K. Topinka. 1984. Contamination
of mustard and canola seed by frass of painted lady caterpillars, Vanessa
cardui (Lepidoptera: Nymphalidae). The Canadian Entomologist 116:1431-1432.