Mystery larvae

Dr. James Adams jadams at em.daltonstate.edu
Fri Jan 4 12:56:54 EST 2002

>Listers,

         Sorry.  Seems the mystery caterpillar dilemma has already been
resolved.  We changed e-mail systems over the Christmas break, and I had
not yet caught up on the other messages.  The Polka-dot Wasp Moth (S.
epilais) is likely the right candidate.

         However, do be aware that the members of the arctiid genus Cycnia
also feed on members of the Dogbane family (Apocynaceae) and also have
larvae that are orange with black tufts.  This is why I asked about how
densely packed the tufts are -- they are much more so in Cycnia than
Syntomeida.

James K. Adams
Phone: (706)272-4427
FAX:  (706)272-2235