Conservationists, arguments, and Henry V

Martha Rosett Lutz lutzrun at avalon.net
Sat Jan 5 22:16:04 EST 2002

This is NOT an exact quote--I'm too tired and lazy to go get my Shakespeare
right now.  (Chalk it up to 2 1/2 weeks of all five kids home all day.)
But I think we could all take a lesson from something The Bard had Henry V
say when he was invading France:

When kindness and cruelty play for a kingdom, the gentler gamester is the
soonest winner.

In modern words that apply to this list:  courtesy is a better persuasive
tool than verbal abuse.  When I see person A telling person B that he or
she is stupid, deceitful, et cetera, this generally does not result in my
feeling allied with person A, even if I do not agree with person B.  It
just makes me feel as though I want to avoid listening to either of them.
Woo your audience with a polite presentation of evidence.  It's much more
effective than vitriol and calumny.

Or at least that's what I try to teach my kids . . .

In Stride,
Martha Rosett Lutz

a.k.a. the old lady sprinter in Iowa, where the only butterflies in
evidence are in my 'tummy,' because on the 11th of January I hope to make
an attempt on the World Best for the W40-49 4 x 400 meter relay.  If three
other old ladies and I can average better than 79 per 400, we can set a new
World Best.  Something fun to tell my grandkids some day!  IF we can do it
. . .