New Zealand Lepidoptera

John Grehan jrg13 at psu.edu
Fri Jan 11 00:35:35 EST 2002

Well it looks like I'll be travelling to New Zealand for four weeks from
about the middle of February so I will have the chance to contribute
something original to the list on the moths and butterflies. One person
commented to me earlier on not seeing much in the way of butterflies
so  I  will comment on what butterflies I see in particular locations.
Hopefully I will find out if and how I can access the list via my email
address in which case I may be able to send some messages during the trip
itself. Except for the high elevation tussock butterflies of the South
Island I may have the chance to bump into most other groups.

Anyone ever headed that way might like to read the introduction to the
annotated catalogue of Lepidoptera by John Dugdale (1998: Lepidoptera
annotated catalogue and keys to family-group taxa. Fauna of New Zealand
14:1-262). This publication is primarily a species list, but includes
taxonomic synonymies for each and many have additional notes. George Gibbs
wrote an excellent book on the butterfly fauna some years ago. I'll excerpt
some notes from Dugdale over the coming days beginning with the following:
1. The new Zealand fauna stands out with respect to:
   (a) High level of endemicity
   (b) distinctive nature of many forms in relation to Australia
   (c) "strange" absences

Of the 2150 names proposed for New Zealand species 73% of type specimens
are in Northern Hemisphere institutions and of these 68% are in the British
Museum of Natural History (perhaps there is an issue here regarding
repatriation of types). This has resulted in many taxonomic problems over
the decades.

More to come...

John Grehan