winter moths

Dr. James Adams jadams at em.daltonstate.edu
Fri Jan 11 14:59:00 EST 2002

Listers,

         Something non-controversial!!

         We had a nice warm day yesterday in NW Georgia, so I turned the
big lights on on the back porch last night.  Saw the first Feralia major of
the season on the back porch this morning, as well as two more at a gas
station on the way to work.  For those of you who don't care about
moths,  you need to check this one out on my website at:

http://www.daltonstate.edu/galeps/Webpages/Noctuidae/Fmajor.htm

Its a beauty!!  Lovely green, very striking.  I also found a couple of
LIthophane viridipallens, a subtely beautiful grey moth with pink undersides:

http://www.daltonstate.edu/galeps/Webpages/Noctuidae/Liviridipallens.htm

And the second specimen this year of the uncommon geometrid Paleacrita
merricata (okay, so this one isn't very striking):

http://www.daltonstate.edu/galeps/Webpages/Geometridae/Pmerricata.htm

Believe me, if you were out to find butterflies in this part of the country
this time of year, you'd be out of luck.  One reason why I like moths so
much is that the season never ends, even in the winter!

James K. Adams
Phone: (706)272-4427
FAX:  (706)272-2235
Visit the Georgia Lepidoptera Website: