degreasing

Mark Walker MWalker at gensym.com
Sun Jan 13 17:45:12 EST 2002

The most serious case of the phenomenon described by Richard Worth that I
have seen occurred on a very large Pierid I caught in Rishikesh, Uttar
Pradesh, India in 2000.  I relax with only water, so Stan's suggestion
wouldn't apply.  The bug was big and white - with black stripes and a slight
bluish tint.  I thought I had spilled ink on the wings at first - the
blue-green staining ran like water colors.  There was significant
condensation in the relaxer, and it was little drops of water that were the
culprits.  I hadn't seen this before - at least not to this extent.  It was
almost as if the bug was painted, and I was ruining the masterpiece with
exposure to water.

I have no idea what chemical is responsible, but the secret is clearly
keeping the specimen away from condensation.

Mark Walker.