Cardiospermum native in Florida?

John Calhoun John.Calhoun at SempermedUSA.com
Thu Jan 17 08:15:13 EST 2002

I think most botanists believe that Cardiospermum halicacabum is exotic, but
some obviously disagree.  In fact, Richard Wunderlin is one of the members
of the Florida Exotic Pest Plant Council.  During numerous personal
communications with him during the course of my research on C. thomasi, he
stated his belief that it is an exotic plant in Florida, but is becoming
less common, thus it is less of a problem than formerly.  This plant is
still available from seed supply houses, but I doubt it's a big seller,
except to those who seek unusual plants for their gardens.