Miami Blue

Mark Walker MWalker at gensym.com
Thu Jan 17 12:38:06 EST 2002

John,

Question:  Is the Miami Blue an endemic?  If not, then it makes sense that
it's presence in south Florida comes and goes with the weather.  Everything
that lives down there was hanging on for dear life long before the Spaniards
came.  If we're concerned that there will be no suitable habitat for it to
colonize upon it's next return, then let's just be more aware of what is
growing in the few places left where there is any suitable habitat (let's
face it, there wasn't that much to begin with).  If it's endemic or somehow
unique to south Florida, then it's certainly worth making a strong effort to
preserve it.  If not, then I question any extraordinary human effort on it's
behalf beyond monitoring it and knowing where and when and why it's present.

BTW - what is the relationship between thomasi and ammon?  I know ammon is
common in the southern keys now, and that it was considered mostly an Upper
Antilles species previously - has it been partly responsible for displacing
thomasi?

Mark Walker.