environmental enhancement again

Michael Klein keps2 at flite-tours.com
Fri Jan 18 16:46:31 EST 2002

Bayensis, which is federally threatened, has the same biology as Euphydryas
editha quino (Quino Checkerspot), federally endangered.  The third instar
enters into diapause in April or May and remains that way until late January
or February.  It emerges from diapause and we call this a post diapause
larvae.  Its primary host plant at this stage is Plantago erecta.  If rains
have not been good, the plant can dry up early and the caterpillar would
then move over to Owl's Clover as a secondary host plant to complete its
larval growth.  Plantago grows earlier than the Castilleja so this would be
the regular sequence.

Michael Klein
San Diego