environmental enhancement again

Neil Jones Neil at nwjones.demon.co.uk
Sat Jan 19 18:57:33 EST 2002

On 19 Jan, in article <3C49CDD9.9080204 at GATE.NET>
     viceroy at GATE.NET "Anne Kilmer" wrote:

> Neil Jones wrote:
>
> > On 16 Jan, in article <002501c19eb1$192d8c60$2cc8b8a1 at net>
> >      isheldon at telusplanet.net "Ian Sheldon" wrote:
> >

> >>One of the European examples Norbert may be making reference to is the
> >>British Large Blue (Maculinea arion).
>

> much good stuff snipped
>

> > The ecology of this species had been worked out by the time it became extinct.
> > The population was just too small. The last generation were 22 adults the
> > decendant of a single female of only 5 adults to emerge in the previous year.
> >
> > It was first put back from Swedish stock onto the last site which is known
> > as "Site X". It is still surviving there and has been moved onto
> > several other sites. However, even with all the expertise that has been
> > developed some of the introductions have failed. In general butterfly
> > introductions are very very difficult to get to work.
> >

> but oh, so worth while ... if changes are planned to benefit the other
> butterflies still on site, as well.

Actually with the Large Blue a lot of other stuff benefited too.

> As far as the Miami Blue and the other local blues, which would
> share the good times a'coming, I bet if folks would quit
>  spraying mosquito adulticides where they're growing, they would feel ever so
>  much better.
>
> Just issue bee suits to the tourists; they'll be fine. Us natives don't
> notice the mosquitoes anyway, unless they're so thick you can't drive
> through them.
> Or if, when you drop your pants, your legs turn black. One time, in the
> Everglades ... well, never mind.

Mosquitoes don't seem to bother me much. I know I get bitten but I just
don't react. People seem to differ in their reactions.

--
Neil Jones- Neil at nwjones.demon.co.uk http://www.nwjones.demon.co.uk/
butterflies?" Andrew Lees - The quotation on his memorial at Crymlyn Bog