Vanessa at night

Paul Cherubini monarch at saber.net
Mon Jan 21 08:23:13 EST 2002

Mark Walker wrote:

> Well, just to add two more anecdotes which prove nothing,
> I have encountered
> two massive migrations in just the last few years where the leps were still
> on the wing and flying rapidly at sunset.

Mark, no one is questioning the reality of big flights of butterflies and
day flying insects at sunset or during the first 30 minutes after sunset.
But I have not witnessed, nor have I heard of anyone seeing common
migratory, Nymphalid butterflies flying 30 minutes or more past sunset,
away from artificial lights.

Paul