birds or butterflies?

Don Benson don.benson at attcanada.net
Mon Jan 21 18:28:14 EST 2002

A group of us are trying to enhance a 14 hectare site in Richmond, British
Columbia. The birders are putting up bird boxes for tree swallows.  The
butterfly people are trying to attract butterflies by planting larval
foodplants and nectar plants. Eventually we hope to introduce anise
swallowtails and purplish coppers to the site.

Will the tree swallows eat the butterflies?  Are we working at cross
purposes by putting up bird boxes in an area where we are trying to create
habitat for butterflies?

Don Benson