the way it was in suburban habitats

Liz Day beebuzz at kiva.net
Mon Jan 21 21:13:14 EST 2002

 >I think it is curious that when lepidopterists are especially motivated
to find butterflies in suburban habitats (such as when trying to document
species occurrence in hopes of blocking land development
 >plans) they may have remarkably good luck.

This does not seem remarkable to me, depending on what you define as
"suburban".  The suburbs are sprawling out so far into such wild areas that
it would not be hard to find a pretty good piece of land that is not at all
suburban now but about to become so.

Liz

Liz Day
Indianapolis, Indiana, central USA  (40 N, ~86 W)
Home of budgerigar Tweeter and the beautiful pink inchworm (Eupithecia
miserulata).
USDA zone 5b.  Winters ~20F, summers ~85F.  Formerly temperate deciduous
forest.
daylight at kiva.net
www.kiva.net/~daylight