[leps-talk] Polygonia gracilis

Niklas Wahlberg Niklas.Wahlberg at zoologi.su.se
Wed Jan 23 03:45:25 EST 2002

Very interesting observations! I've sequenced a couple of zephyrus from
Wyoming, but unfortunately I don't have any gracilis at the moment. An
interesting observation from my data (which is super preliminary) is that
zephyrus and oreas are forming a clade to the exclusion of satyrus and
progne! So what it looks like is that oreas has nothing to do with progne
(oreas is sometimes considred a subspecies of progne). Now I need to
sequence the zephyrus and oreas from BC (that you Norbert kindly sent) and
to get some gracilis and more progne to see if these preliminary patterns
hold up. These difficult species groups are just too cool! Full of
surprises they are!

Cheers,
Niklas

At 11:27 22.01.2002 -0800, Kondla, Norbert FOR:EX wrote:
>There are the usual variety of interpretations in the literature re. whether
>or not gracilis and zephyrus are one or two species. I have gone around the
>mulberry bush on this issue a good deal over the years and have examined
>hundreds of specimens from most parts of the range of these butterflies. I
>can sleep well at night with the view that there is one species.  In
>southern British Columbia and in SW Alberta there is tremendous variation in
>appearance (including within individual populations) and I have not been
>able to draw any neat geographic lines where one entity stops and the other
>starts.  I have placed images of just three of the phenotypic variants that
>fly in my local area on http://www.norbert.eboard.com
>Have a boo if you are interested; do not worry if some of the thumbnails
>come up black; just click on the thumbnail anyway and the full image will
>appear. Enjoy :-)
>
>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>Norbert Kondla  P.Biol., RPBio.
>Ministry of Sustainable Resource Management
>845 Columbia Avenue, Castlegar, British Columbia V1N 1H3
>Phone 250-365-8610
>Mailto:Norbert.Kondla at gems3.gov.bc.ca
>http://www.env.gov.bc.ca
>

>TILS Motto: "We can not protect that which we do not know." © 1999
>
>TO post: TILS-leps-talk at yahoogroups.com

Niklas Wahlberg
Department of Zoology
Stockholm University