non-profits

Michael Gochfeld gochfeld at eohsi.rutgers.edu
Thu Jan 24 08:40:32 EST 2002

To follow up and perhaps modify Ron's illustration of the church butterfly
garden.....

If the church identifies social service and education as its mission then the
butterfly park would be included under that mission and the profit would not be
taxable. I don't think the church would even have to modify its by-laws or
inform the IRS.  They could perhaps post a slogan like "come and witness the
wonders of creation", and have it as much as an integral part of its community
activity (no there's an idea I could encourage).

There are, however, certain limitations on how much net income could be allowed
before it becomes suspect.  But if the "profits" are ploughed back into the
other church activities then the whole would be tax exempt.  If it went to buy
the minister a third sports car or a summer retreat it would be suspicious. If
it did the same for a suffering parishioner who had no car at all and was
homeless----quien sabe.  If it went to provide travel to a resort to attend a
conference on international religions, it would certainly be tax exempt. If the
attendance lasted for a month beyond the conference date, that would arouse IRS
suspicion.

The exempt status lies in how the goals of the organization are delineated and
how the "profit" is used. It obviously can't go into the deacons' pockets, but
whether it could help pay for the minister's retirement package would be
tricky.

Finally, the by-laws of a 501(c)(3) must stipulate that if the organization
self-destructs, its remaining assets must be distributed to other tax exempt
organizations.

A person I know created a 501(c)(3) to support their research activities.  When
he decided to close down the "foundation" after a decade he donated the money
to an organization and was listed as a benefactor, even though technically the
money was not his.  I always thought that was a bit sleazy---but the receiving
organization was certainly happy and deserving.

MIKE GOCHFELD