[leps-talk] Re:Glassberg

Mark Walker MWalker at gensym.com
Thu Jan 24 21:26:25 EST 2002

Ahh, but Hank went on to say:

> We do not use nets on our SEABA field trips either.  They are organized
> like birding trips.  NABA is interested in the"non-conumptive enjoyment
> of butterflies" -I never said otherwise.

And:

> Also if there were the odd person on the field trip who equates
> collecting with disobeying the Geneva Conventions, they would not be
> made to feel uncomfortable.

The problem is that little consideration is given to ensure that the
collectors in a group aren't made to feel uncomfortable.  Instead, they are
often asked to "go into the closet", so to speak.  This may seem reasonable,
given the above assertion that NABA is interested in "non-consumptive"
butterflying, but it doesn't do much for encouraging "consumptive"
butterfliers to participate in the first place.

This is the heart of the problem, I'm afraid.  The better response would be
to educate the people who may take offense to collecting.  Fortunately,
increasing numbers of folks who only "watch" are recognizing the value of
those who are inclined to "consume" (or better worded - admit that they
"consume", for we all are guilty of that crime), and the two are enjoying
wonderful moments together in the field.

Mark Walker