[leps-talk] Re:Glassberg

Kenelm Philip fnkwp at aurora.alaska.edu
Fri Jan 25 05:38:45 EST 2002

> Netting/collecting is not a group thing, no matter how you may try to
> convince me that it is.

Back in '79 I hosted the Lep. Soc. meeting in Fairbanks, Ak. In addition
to a number of small groups who went out collecting daily, there were two
major collecting trips: approximately 65 people to Eagle Summit for a day;
and around 45 people up the Dalton Highway to the North Slope (near Gal-
braith Lake). You would have a hard time convincing me that collecting
cannot be a group thing!

	Unless by 'group thing' you are referring specifically to many
people interacting simultaneously with a single butterfly. I would agree
that 65 people can't all collect the same specimen! But they can be all
over the same hillside, collecting the same species. I've seen it done.
And a merry time was had by all...

							Ken Philip
fnkwp at uaf.edu