What is a lepidopterist?

Rudy Benavides rbenavid at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 27 08:38:00 EST 2002

What is a lepidopterist (in 2002)?  With all the recent postings concerning
netting, collecting, watching,  etc., I have been wondering how folks here
might answer that question.  I received an email response to an earlier post
of mine about "butterfly watchers and lepidopterists" in which the poster
said that "years ago we were all the same", there were no distinctions.  But
now, with a growing segment of the butterfly community involved in more
passive butterflying (with binoculars), does that change the meaning or use
of the word lepidopterist?  By the way, this is not intended to poke fun or
ridicule anyone.  I am just wondering if there will come a time in the near
future when the distinction will be made...just like what happened in the
birding community... there are birders and there are ornithologists.  I
personally know scores of birders, but I only know a handful of
ornithologists.  I also have my own definition of a lepidopterist (a pro,
someone that does research, publishes, etc.)...but that's just my opinion.

So is a lepidopterist just anyone with an interest in butterflies/moths?  Or
is there more to it than that?

Rudy