Northern exposure...

Grkovich, Alex agrkovich at tmpeng.com
Wed Jan 30 17:37:48 EST 2002

I have a couple of related observations I wanted to add here.

1. We have a very large "garden area" out back, with an actual garden (some
tomatoes, pumpkins, sunflowers, onions, garlic, etc etc.). Otherwise it's a
sort of wild field with willows etc. and oak/pine forest bordering the area.
Last year the area produced about 25 species of butterflies/skippers. We
"watch" back there, mostly.

We have an annual colony of Question marks (Polygonia interrogationis) which
breed there and which glorify the area every summer. Late last July, I was
down there doing some weeding and watching two/three summer form (umbrosia)
Question Mark patrolling and perching. They adopted favorite perches, and
darted to investigate any passing birds, dragonflies etc. Quite
aggressively, I might add. They might have been partly investigating for
mates, or they also may very well have been protecting the perch. Some
investigative flights tended to be quite long, but they always return, and
usually to the same spot. Or they may select three perches and rotate
between them.

One older male was flying rapidly near me; all of a sudden he disappeared
behind an azalea bush behind me; then I saw him "hopping" behind the bush.
By the time I got to where he was behind the bush (no more than 3 to 5
seconds), he was in the clutches of a robber fly which had already had eaten
part of his head.It was violent and quick. The butterfly had made a couple
of violent attempts to get free, but of course, to no avail.

2. Last July I was in western Maine on a day trip. One of the species I have
been investigating, and was that day, was the Common Wood Nymph (Cercyonis
pegala), and its variability across New England (and everywhere else, for
that matter). I was in a large milkweed field along Rt. 26 south of Oxford,
Maine when I began watching a specimen bouncing across the field. Suddenly,
out of absolutely nowhere, a dragonfly swooped down, grabbed the butterfly
in flight and carried the helpless thing up to a nearby oak tree branch. As
Guy wrote below, I am not entirely certain how the butterfly was carried, it
seems that it may have been held by the front pair of legs of the ode. The
ode wasted no time in eating the butterfly head first after landing on the
branch. \Indeed, the meal may well have started in flight.

3. A couple of summers ago, I was taking a lunch time walk in the Boston
Common garden. I noticed a house sparrow stalking a small day-flying moth
among lupine flower/plants. The moth was caught, but then escaped. Over the
following 2-3 minutes, I watched an absolutely horrible battle between the
desperate moth and the hungry bird. Several times the moth was caught in the
bird's beak and subsequently escaped. Each time the moth was further wounded
and had it's wings ripped, but it continued to fight. A couple of times I
thought it might escape, and it was successful once or twice in hiding
around behind a few plants, perhaps giving it an opportunity to fly, which
it probably still could. But the bird was also very persistent, and finally,
the bird was able to secure it one last time in its beak, violently shake
beak and moth, until the moth was unable to use its wings effectively; even
then, it managed one last time to break free from the bird's beak. But it
could not escape, it was at this time too badly wounded and could not lift
itself from the ground. The bird caught it one more time, and quickly
devoured it. The battle was over.

I have also many times, as everyone has no doubt,  found butterflies in the
grasp of crab spiders and ambush bugs on, for example, milkweed flowers.

Alex