Week at Yellowstone

Michael Gochfeld gochfeld at eohsi.rutgers.edu
Tue Jul 30 21:36:42 EDT 2002

I am planning to circulate a list of butterflies seen in central Oregon and NW
Wyoming last week, but meanwhile wanted to comment on
Ernest Williams' notes.  We visited Clay Butte (west of the Beartooth Pass).  As
we drove into the "alpine" meadows at about 9am, we flushed little dark
butterflies from the road shoulder and saw dozens hovering over the grass.  These
were all alpines.   We sort of counted between 400-500 E. theano (Theano Alpines)
along a quarter mile stretch, including right at the lookout, and by different
estimates 50-100 E. callias (Colorado Alpines), depending on who walked where.
There were five of us and we all got the same impression that Colorado Alpine was
more likely to be on bare or almost bare ground and Theano more likely in the
grass. The ratio of Theano:Colorado was about 5:1 on the road shoulder and 10:1
or more on the grass.  Both were fresh, and we found road-kills of both species.
Althnough this looked like an alpine zone, trees occur higher up toward the
pass.  We returned to the same road about 4 pm, when it was still hot and sunny,
and Erebia numbers were greatliy reduced.  We found a few more road kills, but it
appeared that the butterflies had taken refuge down at the base of grass clumps,
and didn't budge when we strode over them.  We found only about 15 Theano and 2
Alpines, where there had been 50 times that number in the morning.

The Theano and Colorado Alpines were quite fresh.  We also saw one tattered E.
episodea, just at the beginning of the "alpine" zone.  This species was more
common (about a dozen in a half hour) near the Fishing Bridge in Yellowstone Park
itself, where a few Theanos were also found.

The only Checkerspot we identified was a few editha, and pretty worn at that.
But others in our party went on to look for Gillette's (I haven't heard from
them).

Michael Gochfeld.