protecting condition of gravid female?

Ryan rvandermoor at shaw.ca
Tue Jun 4 08:06:44 EDT 2002

Hey there everyone! I have a bit of a dilemma on my hands here... on a
recent trip we managed to get a gravid female Hyalophora euryalus and hope
to rear some larva. In the past we have put gravid moths in a brown paper
bag, and let her lay her eggs all inside the bag. This system seems to have
worked fairly well, with one exception.... the poor female usually is quite
battered by the time shes done. We would like to keep her in good shape...
but are a little stumped on how to go about this... I'm attempting to
restrain her from flapping her wings... but would like any comments, ideas
or techniques. You can see my current method here
www.bugboy.ca/restrained.html

Thanks in advance,

Ryan Vandermoor
Vancouver, Canada