mowing fields

kmcfarland at vinsweb.org kmcfarland at vinsweb.org
Mon Jun 24 13:12:33 EDT 2002

I have had increasing numbers of landowners ask me about mowing old fields
here
in Vermont and the management of butterflies. There are many small fields here
that are not used for anything, but the owners want to keep them open. They
are
typically cut every other year. Does anyone know of any studies on this
subject
that I may find published? It sure begs of an answer for this region.

Thank you.
Kent
Kent P. McFarland
Conservation Biology Department
Vermont Institute of Natural Science (VINS)
27023 Church Hill Road
Woodstock, VT  05091
phone   802-457-2779   x124 voice mail
fax             802-457-1053