Introductory Entomology text?

James Kruse fnjjk1 at uaf.edu
Fri Jun 28 15:20:15 EDT 2002

Pat:

Daly, Doyen & Purcell. 1998 (2nd ed.) Introduction to Insect Biology and
Diversity. Oxford Univ. Press.

I taught Intro to Entomology using this one last semester and it worked out
well. The students appreciated the whole sections on both ecology and
diversity, which gave some relief from all the systematics. The keys are
pretty good, but I supplemented with other keys for certain orders. You
should like it, given your ecological background and interests, and it was
written by Cal authors. Check it out, free one for the teacher :-)

I used Arnett's American Insects as a supplement, but it is expensive and I
didn't require the students to purchase it, but I had it available in the
lab. I'd use Powell's California Insects if I were in California too.

I have no financial interests in the above recommended books. But I did go
to Cal...

Jim

James J. Kruse, Ph.D.
Curator of Entomology