Monarchs at Ground Zero

Erik Runquist erunquist at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 8 03:16:07 EST 2002

Hello all,
I don't know if anybody else saw this story last night.  Nightline had a
great story about a photographer recording the aftermath and cleanup at
Ground Zero. He told a story about several firefighters walking through a
plume of smoke and then suddenly being swarmed by dozens of monarchs!
Apparently they were landing on the firefighters and swirling around with
the smoke. He said that the firefighters equated the monarchs to souls
rising from the rubble. The photographer certainly was much more eloquent in
describing the events than I can do it justice.  It was quite poignant.
  Just thought you might be interested.
Erik