V. virginiensis aberration ?

Richard Worth rworth at oda.state.or.us
Wed Mar 13 15:53:58 EST 2002

Hi Ron,
I recall in Howe (1975) (my "bible", growing up) an aberrant form of
V. annabella collected in the Bay Area somewhere, I think Alameda Co.
It's topside was similar also to what you described.  Can't remember
the name of this one either, though.
Cheers,  Rich

>In June 1936 (at the tender age of 15)when I was collecting for the Hastings,
>Nebr. museum of natural history, I took a very unusual specimen of Vanessa
>virginiensis (Holland, our only "bible" in those days called it Pyrameis
>huntera!). The underside, as I recall looked very much like virginiensis, but
>the upper side coloration was all fused together,
>I think I sent it off to a Mr. Cross at the Denver Museum Of Natural History
>in exchange for some meteorites our museum wanted. He told me. if my memory
>is correct- that my specimen was an aberrant form of virginiensis and gave me
>the latin name which I cant recall
>I ceased collecting in 1939 when I went off to the Uni. of Nebr., then to
>WW-II for 4 years, then back to U. of N. where I received  a Ph D in
>Chemistry in 1949. I ve been an observer and photographer ever since,
>Does anyone in Leps-list have any info about this form of .V. virginiensis?
>
>Ron Wankel
>rwankel at aol.com

Richard A. Worth
Oregon Department of Agriculture