Alberta

mbpi at juno.com mbpi at juno.com
Sun Mar 31 09:20:22 EST 2002

As I once privately conceded to Chris (on discovering he was a Canadian
expatriate):  My wealth of Canadian friends have proven to be far more
"hip" and environmentally savvy than most of my US friends...even the
ones who aren't professionally involved.  They have all taken an active
interest, and supported me, in my natural science endeavors.

As a counterpoint to this observation:  here in the States, I believe an
interest in the environment most often stems from a regional
upbringing/exposure to our resident natural resources.  New Jersey is an
Industrial hub, and Illinois (where I was born and raised) is part of the
"corn belt" where agricultural science reigns supreme.  Chicago, on the
other hand, tends toward the molecular, physical & mathematical sciences.

After spending a year working at the Chicago Field Museum, however, I
have discovered an interesting phenomena in the Zoology Department of the
museum's hierarchy:  a high percentage of individuals received their
undergraduate training in Arizona (myself included)!  This leads me to
conclude that a state like Arizona, with its extensive biodiversity,
unusual topography and vast tracts of protected environmental wonders,
imparts a love and appreciation of nature that doesn't come easily to
other "less-endowed" states south of the Canadian border.  I know that my
school years in Arizona had a profound affect on me and my interest in
the environment...something that being raised in Chicago could NOT
imbue...

Basically, we are a product of the environment that we "know."

M.B. Prondzinski
USA

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.