still counting

Martin Bailey cmbb at sk.sympatico.ca
Wed May 1 11:45:17 EDT 2002

As a long-time House Sparrow counter, I can say confidently that the
species has declined in central NJ over the past 20 years and as a
feeder bird in northern Westchester (more rural than suburban) since the
1950's.  I think this declines has been previously reported in urban
areas since the replacement of horses and droppings by cars and
pollution.   MIKE GOCHFELD

The 1956 Census of Agriculture in Canada reported 95% less horses than there
was prior to the Second World War.

There is once again a decline in House Sparrows in my area.  This time it is
being attributed to the influx of House Finches from the east and Merlins
from the north.

This Saturday I will be biking around town with a friend looking for Merlin
nests.  Expect to find six in prime town Merlin territory. ( 3 square
kilometres area in total. )

Could do it myself.  But it is more fun to do it with someone else.  MARTIN
BAILEY

I certainly agree that a single count in early summer can't represent a
butterfly fauna in a meaningful way.  In our club I've tried to
encourage people to select a particular place (park, powerline cut, etc,
to census every 2-4 weeks throughout the season.  I do this behind our
house.

But it lacks the party atmosphere of an annual count.  MIKE GOCHFELD

Most of us are not self-directed intellectuals but folks that like to do
things together in groups.  So while knowledge for its own sake is great, it
is not the crucial variable that will save species and places.  The trick is
to get as folks as possible to participant in good science.  The name of the
game is political power.  I think your efforts should be commended.  MARTIN
BAILEY