numbers game or counting

Bob Parcelles,Jr. rjparcelles at yahoo.com
Thu May 2 09:37:34 EDT 2002

--- "Grkovich, Alex" <agrkovich at tmpeng.com> wrote:
> Yes, this is the point: It is REPEATED counts that are important,
> not a
> single "July 4th" or "July 1st" (in English-speaking Canada), that
> produces
> valuable or meaningful data.
>
> And I didn't mean to infer that I think counts are useless (re my
> reference
> to "94 Pearl Crescents"); it isn't that at all. What bothers me is
> the
> brainwashing that is going on, at least here in some parts of New
> England,
> that is teaching unsuspecting individuals that the recording of the
> EXACT
> number is the essence of the science. I had one fellow tell me,
> last summer,
> that he "doesn't care about whether there are two Little Wood
> Satyrs or
> not", that he "only watches and counts them." Another fellow
> reported to me
> personally that he saw "600 Canadian Tiger Swallowtails" while on a
> weekend
> trip into northern New Hampshire". Well, I wondered, did he see
> them over
> the course of an hour, a half day, the whole weekend, and was it up
> and down
> a quarter mile of highway or backroad, across the county, or over
> the entire
> northern half of the State? Such data, of what usefulness or worth
> is it? I
> never did get an answer. This is what is going on, at least around
> here.
> Such people seem to be being mislead, and willingly, it would
> appear.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++=========>

Hi Alex,

As usual, lately :), you are right on target. Let me submit on you
tail a little damge control since my last post will surely make Lep
history, I would like the typos excised.

Now back to the drawing boarde (oooops!)

Bob Parcelles, Jr.

=====
Bob Parcelles, Jr
Pinellas Park, FL
RJP Associates & Clean Millennium Movement (C2M)
rjparcelles at yahoo.com
"Change your thoughts and you change your world."
- Norman Vincent Peale