companion plants

Anne Kilmer viceroy at GATE.NET
Fri May 3 02:56:07 EDT 2002

My compost-heap/nettle patch (in Ireland) has just been mowed, and is
therefore, for the moment, amenable to a spot of gardening. I was
thinking I'd like to put in some sort of flowering host or nectar plant
that might hold its own among the nettles, enjoy the rich soil, and not
mind too much if the neighbor who mangles my garden in my absence
scythes it again next winter.
I was thinking I might buy some year-old hollyhocks and tuck them in ...
they'd be tall and strong enough to take care of themselves.
If there were a native perennial or low-growing shrub that would enjoy
this sunny spot, and the company of nettles, of course I'd prefer that.
Whatever it is, once planted, it will get no help from me. Ow.
Your thoughts?
Anne Kilmer
Mayo, Ireland