Mellana & Theona / Malthus

Chris J. Durden drdn at mail.utexas.edu
Sat May 4 10:00:55 EDT 2002

For me it is not the heat but the smoke! For the last few days we have had
the spring burning haze as far north as Austin. This just makes me sick as
I smell the burnt tropical forest and its butterflies - gone!
Slash-and-burn agriculture is productive only for a much less dense human
population. We are far beyond that point and have been for fifty years.
Don't fall for the current propaganda movement that claims that Paul
Ehrlich was wrong and the world is not overpopulated.
    The upside of this is - watch for special reduced airfare to vacation
spots like Cancun where tourists don't want to go when it is smoky - the
butterflies are still out.
...................Chris Durden