companion plants

Trevor Boyd boyd at glade12.fsnet.co.uk
Sat May 4 17:10:10 EDT 2002

Dear Anne,

Yes, Buddleia of course is ideal in any kind of soil and a great nectar
plant for butterflies - but being of Chinese origin it is not a native.  I
wouldn't call it invasive, but it does seed readily.  I don't think you
could have too many Buddleias about.  Most varieties flower during July and
August, but there is a yellow hybrid (Buddleia x weyeriana) which blooms
from September into November.  It is a cross between B. davidii and B.
globosa.

You mention Valerian but I think you mean Red Valerian (Centranthus ruber)
which comes in red, pink and white.  It is just coming into flower now and
will flower until July.  It loves the lime in old walls but doesn't need or
like rich soil.  Butterflies and moths, especially Humming-bird Hawk-moths
love it.

Brimstone butterflies are not far from you, around Lough Corrib, and are
only limited by the distribution of their food plant (Buckthorn).  They
wander about a good deal, even turning up anywhere in Northern Ireland where
they do not breed.  Alder Buckthorn grows in acid soils, so it should do all
right where you are, and so you could, single handed, allow them to extend
their range to your delightful patch.

Just a few thoughts.  I will not be offended if you don't adopt any of my
suggestions.  Communicating with you is reward enough.

I don't know whether or not to campaign for the Small Blue (Cupido minimus)
in Northern Ireland.  There is only one small, sad colony left, but it
thrives in Donegal and Sligo, all part of the same metapopulation cut off by
the political border.  The authorities here are aware of the problem and are
supposed to be doing some site management to encourage it, so we'll see how
that goes.

Yours,

Trevor Boyd