Cool off guys - this might just be a Bigfoot.

Barb Beck barb at birdnut.obtuse.com
Thu May 9 10:52:34 EDT 2002

Please Joseph if you have witnessed such a person at least let some people
the rest of us are familiar with know off line who can check things out what
you are talking about.

This does not sound like a responsible collector to me and I really wonder
how he managed to talk to such a group.

I have been on other lists where plants have come on with some of their
friends and built up a factious story to cast something in a bad light or
just to cause trouble in general.  I certainly hope this is not the case.

We had a group get on the birding lists and spread stories about how they
witnessed banding operations where all of the birds died.  No details, no
specifics about who was involved.  Other of their buddies started chiming up
with other stories.  Turned out it was all a plot to discredit the hard work
that people who band birds are doing.  I finally pointed out to the list
that these people were as responsible as the banders for the killing if it
had happened because they did not properly report it so that either the
operation could be shut down or somebody could give these people proper
training.  They were too shy to report things to the proper authorities and
yet did not hesitate to tell their story with no details to about 2000
people on a mailing list... give me a break.

You may be sincere in your post. If so please let us know the details or at
least somebody we know in the group like Alex so it can be checked out.  If
not I realize that you are playing the old Bigfoot game with a mailing
list - getting on just to stir things up needlessly with misinformation.

Barb Beck
Edmonton